Medicinal Marijuana NT: Clinics, Treatment & Laws

The cannabis treatment in NT is available for certain medical conditions and is prescribed by your health practitioner. Cannabis clinics are experts in the prescription process of cannabis that suits various illnesses and disorders.

Note: The information given on this page is not medical advice and should be taken in conjunction with medical professional advice. Individuals wanting medical advice on this issue should consult their local healthcare professionals.

Cannabis Treatment in nt
Cannabis Treatment in nt

General practitioners have the ability to refer to a medicinal cannabis specialist

In the Northern Territory (NT) Cannabis is still classed as a Schedule 8 (S8) substances. Therefore, authorisation from NT Chief Health Officer (CHO) is required before the “restricted” substances can be dispensed to a pharmacy. In order to obtain medical cannabis in the NT, a patient must first get an Initial application made on behalf of them by their specialist. The general practitioner (GP) will offer advice and guidance about whether medical cannabis is the right treatment for you. If they believed that cannabis will be the best treatment option, you will then be referred to specialist and an application made on your behalf to the CHO.

How a patient can access medicinal cannabis in NT?

  • Talk to your treating doctor about whether medicinal cannabis may be suitable as a treatment for you.

  • You will be required to give informed consent and sign that you are aware of the effects of THC and the laws against operating heavy machinery if medical cannabis contains primarily THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) rather than CBD Cannabidiol.

  • Your GP will then refer you to a specialist, in which, an application will be made to the NT Chief Health Officer (CHO).

  • In Northern Territory specialist paediatricians, psychiatrists, physicians, neurologists and registrars in training are the only medical specialists that can submit an application to the CHO (CHO).

  • If approved, your GP will also need to arrange for a pharmacy to dispense the medication to you within your local area.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Question: How often do I need to see my specialist?
Answer: A patient must be seen by a specialist or registrar at least every two years. Cannabis treatment could be terminated, without a valid reason.

Question: In a child emergency situations can the application process be accelerated?
Answer: All Paediatricians may initiate supply without an CHO authorisation for 30 days. After 30 days an application will need to be lodged by the paediatricians.

Question: Can my GP prescribe medical cannabis?
Answer: All other medical practitioners, such as GP, may continue the supply once a specialists or registrars grants them access. Your GP to be added to the approved prescribers and updated in the CHO system.

Question: Do you always need approval to be prescribed medical cannabis in the NT?
Answer: Yes, approval is always needed, a CHO approval is required for each individual patient before a prescription is granted.

Question: Can my Pharmacist even dispense Medical Cannabis?
Answer: Yes “If” the GP is practising in the Northern Territory (NT). Generally, their primary practice address.

Things to consider when taking medicinal cannabis

You cannot drive

Research has shown that cannabis use has an effect on a person’s ability to drive (Read More). Unlike alcohol, there is no specific concentration of cannabis that can be identified as an indicator of impairment. It is illegal for any patient being treated with medicinal cannabis containing THC to drive while undergoing treatment.

School-aged children

If a patient is at school, they can have the prescribed product administered at school in the same way as other medicines. Medicinal cannabis is not a “rescue” medication, and it would not be given in an emergency situation. Children usually receive doses of medical cannabis twice a day, therefore it’s unlikely to be required at school with a morning/evening schedule.

Disclaimer: Cannabis Place may contain information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for 18+ audiences in regions where cannabis has been decriminalised. This topic may represent illegal activity in certain regions. We do not encourage illegal activity. We understand that readers in locations where cannabis has been legalised may read these articles. Medical Cannabis in Australia is regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration and details about Cannabis as a scheduled drug can be found on their website. Please consult with your doctor to find out if Cannabis is right for you. Click here for our full disclaimer